1. In the very beginning of basketball, the color of most basketballs was brown, but lately, it’s more common to see an orange basketball. The first company to produce a basketball for official use was Spalding, and they have produced the official NBA game ball since 1983.
2. The first basketball game took place in 1892, where the court was half the size of today’s courts. The game was played for 30 minutes, and only one point was scored in the match.
3. The NBA (National Basketball Association) were founded in 1949, after the combination of the NBL (National Basketball League) and the BAA (Basketball Associate of America). The average team in the NBA is worth an average of 1.25 Billion US dollars.4. Basketball was first played by a soccer ball until it was changed in 1929.
5. Michael Jordan is considered to be one of the best basketball players in history. His record score of 5,987 points during his career made him a legend in the world of basketball.
6. The reason a backboard was added is because the audience in the balcony used to interfere in the game by handling the ball.
7. In 1967, slam dunks were considered illegal; nine years later it was legalized again.
8. The first hoop was like a peach with a bottom and every time team scores, the referee would climb a ladder to get the ball.
9. Women´s basketball was developed the same year as its men´s counterpart. However, some rules were modified to fit women. The first intercollegiate women´s basketball game were played between Stanford University and University of California, Berkeley, in 1896.
10. The game was made an official Olympic game in Berlin Germany, 1936.
Source: 10 Facts About